Working in conjunction with Sunderland City Council and Sunderland Clinical Commissioning Group Healthy Steps is an 18 month project that will inform, encourage and support the BME Communities of East Sunderland through four main outcomes:
o Increase access to information and services – Understand and correctly access public and statutory resources and facilities.
o Reduce Health Inequalities – Improve health, personal wellbeing and mental health in BME women in the East Area of Sunderland.
o Encourage participation in non BME community hubs – Create and deliver opportunities to integrate people in the East Area of Sunderland by signposting BME people into community life.
o Raise awareness of different cultures – Support non-ethnic communities and organisations to better understand, the BME East Area Community.
Our Outreach Workers
Our team of outreach workers are available to deal with any enquiries about health and wellbeing that are particularly important to BME people in the Sunderland area.
If you or anyone in your family or your friends, colleagues etc. would like to find out anything in strict confidence then get in touch with us.
- Has an experienced and diverse Outreach Team that reaches all BME people
- Provides Support for drop-in sessions, events, cross cultural activities and detached support
- Creates opportunities for Health providers to better engage with BME Communities
- Has a schedule of multicultural events spread over the project lifetime
- Improves training and opportunities for all staff & volunteers involved
- Reduces Health Inequalities in the City
- Creates more opportunities for cross cultural understanding and integration
Over 18 months of the Programme:
- Healthy Steps Sessions to be Held – 80
- People attending healthy Sessions – 560
- Cultural Events held – 9
- Cultural Event Attendees – 450
- Number of people Accessing Services – 183
- Number of volunteers involved and trained – 80
- Volunteers signed up to E Learning Lounge – 115
Sincere thanks to our partners